Tuesday, March 17, 2009

~ Love Letters ~

Ah… love letters. Does there exist a more tender way of expressing love for another than by writing a letter from the heart? As a woman I so cherish receiving such a valuable gift. Along with this treasure comes a sense of adoration, commitment, declaration, and sincerity. Who has not been touched at least once in their lifetime by this precious display of affection?

Love letters come in all shapes and sizes and from people of all ages. Don’t let the world fool you into thinking there's a standard for receiving them. Your adorable 2 year old is just as capable of giving you a love letter as your husband or cherished one is. If we open our eyes to those around us we will see just how full our love letter mailbox is.

SO WHAT EXACTLY DO LOVE LETTERS LOOK LIKE?

In the traditional sense, love letters are most commonly recognized as a hand written letter with romantic expressions or poetry...





Sometimes love letters come in the form of a thank
you note or a note of sincere gratitude...




You know you've received a love letter if your 7 year old has ever given you something that resembles this...



Or your 3 year old says they drew you a picture of "mommy when she wakes up in the morning...





There is something about a love letter that captures our heart and leaves us feeling as though we've won the emotional lottery. It serves as a reminder that someone is thinking of us and loves us enough to take the time to show us.

One of my favorite things to do each morning is write a love letter to the Lord. In my letters I refer to Him as "My First and Truest Love" and often leave them on my pillow or next to my Bible for Him to read. Since I constantly sin and fall short of the glory of God, the least I can do is tell Him every day how grateful I am that He loves me in spite of my unworthiness. It makes my heart smile to imagine the look on His face as He reads each word from my heart.

Although I'm clearly a romantic, I must admit that it was not me who came up with the concept of writing a love letter each day. It was actually God who started the tradition. Not only did the tradition begin with Him, but to this day there exists no greater love letter than the one He wrote to you and me...




God's love letter to us is most precious of all letters because it is the only one that can both be used to comfort and to defeat. It is sharper than a double edged sword and gentle as a dove.

It brings a tear to my eye as I recall the days I have chosen not to read the letter the Lord wrote to me that day. Can you imagine how you would feel if you wrote someone the deepest words from your heart and they wouldn't take the time to read it? Oh how I pray for the Lord to give us a fresh desire to read His precious penmanship every day. May we never miss the opportunity to be swept up off of our feet by the One who holds our hearts in the palm of His loving hands.


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." ~ Matthew 6:21

-Kelley

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful, Kelley. What a blessing you are to have in my life. Thank you for this reminder of exactly how we should view HIS WORD...I don't think I have ever thought of it quite that way.

    Oh, and I totally love that I am your first comment, your first follower, but I suppose you are the 'first lady'...;0)

    I would love to read a post about how you came up with your 'name' and the name for your blog.
    xoxo, Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm speechless. You have a gift girl!
    That was a great example of how each day should start with Him, I love it.
    Cute blog name BTW

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete