Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Storm

Today, while I was at the Preschool, I started thinking about the weather we've been having lately. It's cool and sunny during the day, but it quickly grows chilly before the sun has a chance to fully retreat. And that got me thinking... isn't that so much like our life as Believers? We do our best to be a light to others in a dark and cold world, but we aren't always spared from the temperature drops. Sometimes, we are soaked by the same storms that unbelievers are. It seems that no one can escape it...not even the President.






I love my 30 minute drive to and from work because I get to enjoy the beautiful scenery without being exposed to the elements (not that there are often "elements" to complain about in San Diego). If I'm cold, I can turn my heater on to 90, or can drop it down to 71 if I'm feeling particularly hot. Nonetheless, it's my perfect little haven for 60 minutes each day that provides a place where I feel..."comfortable". And that got me thinking too...

It seems that there is often an a misconception among Believers that we are somehow spared from the tragedies of life once we accept Christ as our Savior. Perhaps we think that since Christ paid the penalty for our sins and washed them away with His blood, he must have taken all our pain, suffering, and trials along with it. But the Bible doesn't say anything like that. In fact, it states quite the opposite:

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." -James 1:2-4

"Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." -1 James 1:12

"So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." -1 Peter 1:6 & 7

So what exactly is my point in all this?...





The storms of life are going to come. Period. And we have an important decision to make: Are we going to sink or swim? We can choose to go it alone or to hold on to our Savior for dear life. After all, isn't He the Giver of Life? Where can we find greater safety than under the shelter of His wings?

"Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings." -Psalm 17:8

"How precious is your unfailing love, O God! All h
umanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings." -Psalm 36:7

"Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings!" -Psalm 61:4

When the storms of life come, are we going be like the Titanic, which was once thought to be "Indestructible", yet ended up sinking when Winter brought forth its dangerous elements?






Dear friends, when the storms of life come, let us not turn our eyes away from our Savior. Instead, let us embrace our challenges with our heads held high and our hands lifted up towards Heaven...





"Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God." -Colossians 3:2 & 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll praise you in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are

No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand

You never left my side

And though my heart is torn

I will praise You in this storm


(Chorus to "Praise You in This Storm" by Casting Crowns)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




"Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all to see! For the glory of the Lord rises to shine on you!"

-Isaiah 60:1

1 comment:

  1. I used your picture of the woman in the rain, edit, on my blog The 100 Best Modern Worship Songs.

    http://bestmodernworship.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

    ReplyDelete